Give Back to Oklahoma City and Enjoy the Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteering has been proven to have numerous health benefits. Research shows that volunteering has many mental and physical health benefits. Serving your community helps improve your mood, makes you feel healthier, increases your sense of purpose and reduces your stress levels. These acts of service can also give you a deep sense of happiness and human connection, both immediately and long-term.
Did you know that about a quarter of people who volunteer say that volunteering has helped them manage a chronic illness such as depression? Stats from recent studies report:
• 76% of people who volunteer say that volunteering has made them feel healthier.
• 94% of people who volunteer say that volunteering improves their mood.
• 96% of people say that volunteering enriches their sense of purpose.
• 95% of people who volunteer say they are helping to make their community a better place.
Ready to get started? The first step is to recognize what type of volunteer work resonates with you in Oklahoma City. Some folks want to provide physical labor and some contribute with financial gifts; some people find giving through their service areas as a way to connect. Are you a plumber who can donate a few hours a month to repair plumbing needs for Habitat homes? Or, maybe you are a graphic designer who can offer some free design work for promotional advertisements. All these types of contributions are gifts and are welcome not only Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity, but at many other nonprofit organizations.
Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity is currently seeking volunteers that can build homes, help at the local ReStores or contribute time by serving on a committee. Registration is open for upcoming opportunities to volunteer so simply sign up to secure your volunteer date and time. Groups are welcome so bring a friend to your next community service project!
Volunteer Match is another great resource and is an online directory that lists current volunteer opportunities for Oklahoma City. You can search by location and interest to find something that is right for you.
In the end, it’s all about giving back. Find what’s right for you and connect with your community. You will not regret it.
- Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity Frames 1,000th House
- Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity Completes 500th Critical Home Repair
- What is an Unrestricted Donation?
- Helpful Holiday Giving Tips
- Long-Term Health Benefits of Volunteering