Moving In or Moving Out: What to do with old furniture?
Congrats on your new home! Now you just have to figure out how you’re going to pack and move everything without breaking the bank, your fragile lamp, or your back. To help make this transition a bit easier for you, we’ve put together this short list of tips to help get you started on your new journey while saving you time and money.
How do we know these tips will make your move easy? We sort, haul, resell furniture and interact with folks moving every day!
1. Get rid of everything. Okay, maybe not everything, but the more unused and unnecessary items you eliminate from your home, the less stuff you’ll have to pack up, haul across town, unload, and organize. Doing a massive preliminary purge will have the single biggest impact on the efficiency and ease of your entire packing process. This process will also save you tons of money on labor, storage, and packing supplies.
2. Sort into categories. It’s not a new tip but it’s a goodie! Mark bins, or even piles, as: Pack, Donate, and Sell. After you’ve completed the great purge, you will be able to really inventory and take stock of what remains.
3. Schedule a free donation pickup. Save yourself a trip to your local donation center and schedule a free ReStore pickup. Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore Team will pick up your donation and drop it off to our local community stores — at no extra charge. ReStore takes furniture, building materials, home appliances, and more!
4. Set up an online seller account. Who says you can’t make a little coin throughout this process? Craigslist is free to signup and with just a few pictures and pricing details, your stuff will fly out the door. Have a few high-end designer items? Try eBay. Remember to just practice safe selling tips!
5. Get packing. Research professional moving companies and get a few price quotes. Make sure to read the company’s list of services, fine print, and refund or damage policies, too. For example, some companies don’t lift items that aren’t in boxes, while others ask for full payment several weeks early. Check out insurance options too. Get all the details so there are no unwelcome surprises come moving day.
Moving day will come up quick so just a little preparation will have you coasting through this busy time.
- Positive Community Impact through Affordable Housing
- Benefits of Being a Homeowner
- Solving for Home Insecurity with Affordable Housing
- Best Thrifty Shopping Hacks for ReStores
- Happy Birthday, America!