What is Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity?
- A nonprofit, Christian housing ministry.
- We believe that every person should have a decent, safe and affordable place to live.
- We build and repair houses in central Oklahoma using volunteer labor, donations, our mortgage base, and proceeds from sales at our Renovation Station stores.
- Our partner families purchase these houses at cost through 0% mortgage loans.
How does it work?
- Through volunteer labor and donations. Central Oklahoma Habitat welcomes volunteers from all faiths, or no faith, who actively embrace Habitat’s goal of eliminating poverty housing from central Oklahoma.
- Homeowners invest 300 hours of their own labor (“sweat equity”) into building their Habitat house and the houses of others.
- Applicants for new home construction must have an annual income between $24,000 and $73,300, depending on family size.
- Habitat houses are sold to partner families at no profit and financed with 0% mortgage loans.
- Existing homeowners’ monthly mortgage payments are used to build still more Habitat houses.
How are families selected to receive Habitat houses?
- Families in need of decent shelter submit an application to Central Oklahoma Habitat.
- The affiliate’s family selection committee and the Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity Board of Directors choose homeowners based on their level of need, willingness to become partners in the program and ability to repay the loan.
- Habitat homeowners are chosen without regard to race, religion or ethnicity, in keeping with U.S. fair housing laws, and with Habitat’s abiding belief that God’s love extends to everyone.
Where does the money to build the houses come from?
- We rely on tax-deductible gifts from individuals, corporations and other groups to fund our house-building mission. All donations of any amount are deeply appreciated and help us build more decent, affordable houses in central Oklahoma.
- The monthly mortgage payments made by our homeowners also goes into our building fund along with the proceeds from our two Renovation Station stores that sell new and used building supplies.
Who controls and manages Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity?
- Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity is governed by a twenty-one member Board of Directors who are highly motivated and committed to helping provide affordable housing for limited income families in central Oklahoma.
- Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity is an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International.